If I just received a first time DWI for a BAC over .08, do I need a lawyer?

Asked on February 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The DUI charge against you is a misdemeanor where if convicted you could spend up to six (6) months in jail and/or be fined $1,000 not to mention that you would be fined, ordered to attend classes on the dangers of drinking and driving and have your driving privileges suspended. As such, I recommend that it is in your best interests to consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.