First settlement offer expired for children involved in car accident with no injuries and medical bills so far.

My three children aged 9, 8 7 involved in a fender bender car accident on 3/16/19, they were not injured and not seen by any doctor so have no medical bills. Wife gave recorded statement to Unit One claim adjuster that they were not injured. He has offered 100 for each child and went up to 300 and sent settlement paperwork to close their injury claims. We declined to sign primary for incase they complain of pain still and as offer is low for us. Adjuster responded that he has reviewed the recorded statement in which we stated that the children were not injured in the accident. He claims we cannot file any medical expenses now. We feel we missed out on taking the children to the doctor and now if they have any expenses we will have to pay out of pocket. What is the best way to handle this legally.

Asked on April 6, 2019 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

A settlement from the other driver's insurer is voluntary: they settle when they believe it is more cost effective for them to settle rather than fight (e.g. if you look like you will sue and it would be an expensive case to contest and/or that they may lose). Them withdrawing a settlement offer does not mean you cannot seek compensation, but you would do so by suing the at-fault driver and proving in court 1) that was at fault (e.g. driving negligently or carelessly) in causing the accident and 2) that he caused certain provable injuries or costs to you.  You can only sue for actual, provably injuries or costs, however, not for what might be discovered or occur in the fugure, so you cannot sue until and unless some injuries are found or there are medical costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.