If I was just charged with shoplifting, a summary offense, should I plead guilty or obtain a lawyer?

It was my first offense.

Asked on October 17, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A summary offense is the most minor type of criminal offense in your state. It is often referred to as a &ldquonon-traffic citation". A conviction for a summary offense typically results in a fine. If you were under 18 at the time of the offense and are now over 18, you can get it expunged i.e. cleared from your record 6 months after paying your fine if you were over 18 at the time of the offense, you must have a 5 year period in which you were never arrested before you can get an expungement.
That all having been said, even if you are only facing a summary offense and  a penalty that's not too severe, there is still a chance to keep your record completely clear right up front and avoid any future problems that could seriously affect you regarding employment, apartment rentals, scholarships or any time someone might need to do a background check on you.
Additionally, if it ever happens again you will be facing a 2nd offense charge that is a misdemeanor and risk of jail time. The fact is that there are defenses that can be raised for a retail theft charge.
What you can do now is to at least consult with a criminal law attorne y asto your situation. They can best advise you further and you can then decide whether or not to retain their services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.