If I was fired without a notice, what should I do?

I was hired by an IT startup, after which I resigned from my previous employer to join them. I started about 16 months ago as an Inside sales manager. The training period lasted for 10 days. On joining the new organization, I tried to the my best of abilities to perform better than expected. My performance was monitored far than the fellow colleagues who joined with me. Then all of a sudden, the next month, I was terminated from my role and asked to leave the office that very day with my belongings due to my performance of the previous 5 days. and that too I not given a notice period so that I could be made aware of the fact that my performance was not up to the mark. The structure of organization is such, that still I have not received the relieving letter. I earlier had a job when I joined and now I am unemployed.

Asked on June 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Did your ex-employer's action violate the terms of any exisiting union agreement or employment contract? Did your treatment constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination? If not, then your termination was legal. The fact is that in an "at will" employment relationship, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to fire and why. In fact, an employer can discharge a worker for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.