fired because of some one else

a lady from the state came to my job one day and on one of my off days stared asking question about me and told some privet things this person should know about hippa . she alsotold my boss and co workers about my past and i did not sign any release of information nor did she try to call me to tell me she needed to speak with me she went to my job unannounced and i feel she violated my privacy act.

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you should follow up with a lawyer in your area about this.  You haven't gotten into the details, and I don't blame you at all for that, but they would be needed for anyone to give you reliable advice about whether or not your HIPAA rights were violated, and what you might be able to do about that.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

Please don't wait to do this, if you're going to do anything.  In many states, claims against public employees are subject to special rules that make it harder than suing other people in general, and those rules often include notice requirements with short deadlines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.