How long do I have to wait for my final pay?

My former employer paid monthly on the Friday of the first full week of the month. Last month we were paid a week early causing a gap of 6 weeks until the time of the next pay. I left their employ during the month. Do I have to wait to get paid?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It appears that your final paycheck in Michigan should have been paid whenever the next regularly scheduled or normal payday would be--that is, you should have been paid the same day as you would have been paid had you still be an employee. (Note: the fact that the prior check was early does not matter one way or another.) If the next regular payday following your termination has come and gone, your final paycheck is late. You should first contact the employer for it--maybe it was just an unfortunate, but understandable, oversight. If they don't correct the situation, then you might contact your state department of labor; it is unlikely that it would be worthwhile retaining an attorney and suing at this junction, though bringing a claim where you represent yourself (e.g. in small claims court) is always an option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.