If I want to file from my husband and we resided in CA where he still lives still lives, can I file for divorce in CA without having to travel to there?

I have since moved.

Asked on September 26, 2018 under Family Law, District of Columbia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Ok so each state has a residency requirement for filing.  If you want to file in California (which may be advantageous to division of property) then you need to meet their residency requirements. Same for DC.  In DC you have to live there for 6 months prior to filing.  I think that you should seek consultation from an attorney in your area on this because it is unclear what the time line is here and what you really wish to do and why.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.