I was in a car accident in Humboldt county but want to file in Riverside county, California. Can I do that?

I was in a car accident and I think I need to hire a car accident lawyer. If I hire an auto accident attorney, can I hire one from my local area? If I file my own lawsuit can, i file in my local area? An auto accident where I was a passenger took place in Humboldt Co, I currently live in Riverside county. To open my own lawsuit, do I have to file in Humboldt or can I file where I live in Riverside county? Do I file with small claims court? The accident tookplace on 06/2007; If a car accident lawyer were to file for me by the end of this month, would I still be covered under the statue of limitations?

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Accident Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of which town you file the car accident lawsuit in (Riverside county or Humboldt county), a lawyer licensed in CO can file in either court.  Secondly, you can file the lawsuit in your local area becaue you live there.  You could also file it in the local court where the accident occurred - your choice, but the opposing party may try to make the venue at the place where the accident occurred.  Based on the date of the accident, you are really close to the the SOL deadline.  Usually, negligence accidents (car accidents) have a 2 year SOL.  i would get the thing filed in court asap and then you can deal with the venue.  Dont miss the SOL! If you need an auto accident lawyer in Riverside County, you can check http://www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.