Filing a Civil suit against a party for life long STD Transmission

I would like some information on a course of action to file a civil suit against a woman who gave me a life long STD who I believe knew about her having it, and not informing me of it. Also if medical records can be subpoenaed to show she knew she had it before giving it to me. Thank you

Asked on March 4, 2017 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you believe she knew and deliberately did not tell you, then you can sue her for that--the liability would be based on her negligent (unreasonably careless) or intentional (deliberate) actions in exposing you to the disease. Her knoweledge is a crucial factor: if she did not know at the time of your relationship, she would not be liable. To file the lawsuit, you simply draft a summons and complaint, file them in court, and serve them (according to court rules) on her. You should be able to get instructions and possibly sample or template forms from the court, either online or in person, though you may wish to retain an attorney to help you.
2) You can subpoena her medical records *after* you file a lawsuit, since they are relevant to the case. But you can't do it before filing the lawsuit: a subpoena must be filed and served in the context of a lawsuit, with the case caption and docket (case) number).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.