If I filed an answer to to a summons and complaint yesterday with the court but forgot to get the copies stamped, what do I do?

Will the answer still be accepted and can they back stamp the copies for the plaintiff and other defendants?

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although the answer to the complaint might be accepted by the plaintiff and the other defendants without the court stamp, it would be better to have a court-stamped copy for your records. 

Since you have the case number (on your answer to the complaint and on the complaint), you can go to the court and ask the court clerk for the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the answer to the complaint.  Then, you will have a court-stamped copy for your records.  The court won't back- stamp the copies you already have in your possession.

If you go to the court and you don't have the case number, you will need to look for your name in the court's computer under defendants in the plaintiff/defendant index to find the case number.  Once you have the case number, give it to the court clerk and ask to see the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.