Felony Question

A person has a felony in Oregon for robbing an armored vehicle, can this felony be removed from their record? Can it be reduced to a misdemeanor?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally, in order to qualify for expungement, a conviction must be a class "C" felony, misdemeanor, or a violation.   Certain offenses are not eligible for expungement, such as sex crimes, and traffic offenses.  Other restrictions:

  • There must not be any other criminal conviction on your record for the 10 years preceding expungement.  Oddly enough, this rule makes it so that a person can sometimes expunge more recent convictions sooner than older ones.
  • You must not be facing current criminal charges.
  • You must have fulfilled the requirements of your sentence as ordered by the court.
  • You must wait at least 3 years after the date of conviction.  There is no waiting period required to expunge an arrest for a dismissed/acquitted case or one resulting in a not guilty verdict, as long as the other requirements are satisfied.

You didn't state how this offense was charged, ie what class of felony.  As for getting the charge reduced it's doubtful, however, a provision for this may exist under Oregon law of which I am unaware.  Frankly, Oregon's expungement process is quite liberal, most states won't expunge any criminal conviction let alone a felony conviction, so I suppose that a reduction of the charge is possible.  Your best bet is to consult with an attorney in your area on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.