What is the fastest way to bring my fiance from Canda to the US?

I am a US citizen and my fiance lives in Canada; she is a Canadian citizen but her place of birth is Saudi Arabia. I want to know the quickest way to bring her to US. Would it be easier if we get married while she is visiting US and then apply for her immigration or get married in Canada, apply for her visa and then wait until she gets here. During her immigration processing can she visit US freely?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

She should not be entering the US as a visitor if her intention is to get married and immigrate to the US.  She should wait in Canada while you petition for her as a fiancee or if you get married in Canada then you can petition for her as a spouse.  However, if she is visiting in the US and after her visit you then decide to get married, it is possible to do so (it has to be really strategized propertly in terms of the timelines) and file for the adjustment of status to permanent residence on the basis of marriage within the US, without having to go back to Canada.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.