What to do about fare evasion and tresspassing on a train?

My family and I were issued with summonses; we are not residents of the city and were visiting for tourisim purposes. When we passed through the handicapped doors with the stroller, the doors opened and we went through without realizing that our cards were not read by the reader. What do we need to do now? I am on H1B; will this appear on my records or will it affect my immigration status?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to simply show you had tickets and it was the card reader error. It shouldn't be something that impacts your immigration visas because it is not something you did intentionally. If you feel you need an attorney to resolve it, get one and then consider whether the city should have to pay your attorney's fees for failure to read the card.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.