Family owned properties

My mother and father passed away leaving to homes I am the youngest child and I happen to believe that my one sister has taken those properties and sold those properties without my permission without my consent and without a wheel of these properties how do I go about selling these matters in court to have my equal share from the sale of these 2 properties.

Asked on December 26, 2018 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action challenging your sister's actions on the grounds that she did not have the legal authority or right to to do this. For example, if you and she are the only children and there is no will, you and she would inherit equally, so you'd have a half share or half interest in the properties--and would be entitled to half the proceeds. She cannot take away or refuse to turn over to you your share of the inheritance. You sister can be forced to pay you your share of the proceeds from the homes, as well as your share of  any other property or accounts/money/etc. left behind by your parents. If there is the money from 2 homes at stake, it would be well worth your while to retain a probate attorney to help you, rather than trying to deal with this situation on your own as a non-attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.