Falsely Accused. I want to know my options. My license plates were stolen when i was out of town 4/24-4/27. i tried to report it but was denied.

i’m being accused of pumping gas and driving off. my plates were cancelled 4/30 whn i got back and i rcvd new plates. attempted 2 file a police report, but denied by 2 police districts. offcr assigned to case was dishonest, told me the plates are still active and i have priors. I HAVE NEVER BEEN ARRESTED IN MY LIFE! i have docmnts tht the plates are cancelled and when i made the call 2 rprt the stolen plates. now they want to take a picture of me to compare. i am highly offended and do not want to take a picture. please let me know my options. thank you!!

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

from what you said there seem to be a lot of different issues here. Although you sound as if you are being treated unfairly I need more information s to how to proceed. What I strongly urge you to do is get all documentation together if you can proof that you were away that can rebut the gas pumping charge. Also if you do not have a record and are being told you do this is an issue you need to contact the police about to ask for more proof.

Once you get the paperwork together I advise you to hire a local attorney. This seems to be a very complicated situation with many variables at play. It can get overwhelming for someone unaware of how the system works and without a lawyer you may not be given as many options because the police may think they have the upper hand. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.