What are our rights for a failure to fulfill a construction contract?

We hired a contractor to do work in our home. The contract read 1/3 payment at time contract is signed, 1/3 upon completion of framing and electrical work to code, 1/3 upon completion of work. The contractor has not returned to complete the work specified in the contract. We did pay for the electrical prior to it being completed to help him with a

Asked on June 8, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor for breach of contract for failure to complete the electrical work.
Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for breach of contract) would be the amount you paid for the incomplete electrical work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.