Failure to appear

I have a failure to appear from July 15
2011. I received in North Carolina I was
no longer living there at the time. And
live in Arizona how do I handle this

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

At this point a warrant for your arrest has probably been issued. This means that you have to deal with that, as well as the underlying DUI charge. Since this is a criminal matter, you really should have legal counsel. The fact is that you will need to return to the issuing state and appear before a judge in court. Warrants do not expire and you can be taken into custody for even just a traffic stop (e.g. speeding ticket, etc.). Also, this will turn up on employment background checks and the like. Again, you should seek a DUI attorney in the state in which the incident took place. They can best advise you further. The sooner you take action the better.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.