If my boyfriend gave me cash to purchase a home in my name only, can he now take it back?

Asked on August 31, 2015 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Was the cash a loan or a gift--that is the critical question. If the cash were a loan which you were to repay, and IF you failed to repay it on time, then he could sue you for the money and may be able to, pending the outcome of the case, maintain lis pendens to ensure repayment. Note that even if it was a loan, if repayment was not dimue yet or if you have been making the agreed-upon payments, he can't sue...creditors may only sue in regards to loans if the debtor breaches or violates her obligations.
If the money was a gift, he cannot get it back a gift, once given, belongs to the recipient and cannot be ungiven. So if it was a gift, he has no claim.
If there was nothing in writing and he takes legal action, to a large extent it will become he said, she said--it will be his wors againat yours, though a court will also look at the surrounding facts or context to see what is more likely or xredible. If the court believes him, you could dind yourself liable for repaymebt.
Since he appears to be in the first steps of legal action, yiu are advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.