eye injury

Approximately 9 month ago I went to the police academy for probation officer training. As part of the training we needed to get peeper prayed. About a week after getting sprayed my vision started getting blurry and after several visits to optometrist and opthomologist they diagnosed me with cataracts at the age of 34. I personally believe that the spray caused me to get cataracts. Do I have a case?

Asked on May 31, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have a case if you have a medical report that states that the pepper spray caused your cataracts.
If you obtain a medical report which says that, prior to filing a lawsuit against the police academy, it may be possible to settle the case with the police academy's insurance carrier.
When you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor, obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss.
Your personal injury claim filed with the police academy's insurance carrier should include your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the police academy's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the police academy's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the police academy.
If the case is NOT settled with the police academy's insurance carrier, your lawsuit for negligence against the police academy must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.