What is the definition of “extra curricular activities” regarding child support?

The court ordered my husband to pay ”50% of all extra curricular activities” for his kids. Please give me the legal definition for ”extra curricular activities”. His ex is making him pay for bats, balls, shoes, uniforms, coaches gifts, etc. We were under the impression it meant the fees (registration) to play the sports.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal definition for extra-curricular activities--not everything is an extra-curricular activity. As such, there is room for ambiguity and interpetation. If your husband and his ex-wife can't work this out between them, it may end up in court, where the judge will interpet what is meant. Based on my experience, the most likely interpretation would be all required costs of the activity(ies): so not just fees, but also the equipment (like uniforms, gloves, shoes) which a child must have to participate. It would probably not encompass voluntary amounts, like gifts for coaches. However, that's just the most common interpretation; since there is no set or definitive interpretation, the judge in this matter would be free to come to a different interpretation, if this ends up in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.