extra condo fees for lawsuit

i live in mass. my condo assoc is asking for extra money each mo. to he;p defend a lawsuit. Thelawsuit is re an assessment that occured prior to my purchase of a condo in 2006. my question is am i required to pay this extra money or a share in a judgement should my condo assoc. lose? this all happened prior to my purhcasing a condo in this development . Also i have a second question, the assoc went overbudget on snow this yr and is askng for extra to help pay ther overage,is tihs my responsibility

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, the condo association is there for your condos.  You knew there was an HOA when you purchased it.  Did you read the HOA?  Yes, you may be liable for both.  But, it all depends on what your association bylaws state, how they can charge (i.e., usually requires majority vote of all association members), caps on charges, etc.

In terms of Mass. law on Condo Associations, see here and then contact your attorney general's office if you have a complaint.  You can also consult with a private attorney in Massachusetts who has experience with the Condominium Act.  Try www.attorneypages.com and then check his or her record at the Massachusetts State Bar.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.