Is a deferred adjudication for a juvenile arrest for possession eligible for expungement?

My daughter was arrested at age 16 for having 2 marijuana joints in her backpack. She received deferred adjudication and has stayed out of trouble since. She is now 20 and seeking her nursing license and wants to have her juvenile record expunged.

Asked on March 31, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She can get it expunged... but most of the time it's a moot effort because juvenile records are generally sealed by court order.  Make sure the records are sealed before you spend the funds on an expunction that she may not need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.