‘Expires On’ form I-485

Hi, I am filling my form I-485 for adjustment of status because I married a U.S
citizen. I entered the U.S with a student visa that expires on 2019. However, I
graduated already and my status is terminated. what should I write for ‘Current
status?’ out of status or F1- Student? and I have no idea what to write under
‘Expire on’ should I write the date my F1 visa expires?

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would need to put down whatever the expiration date on the I-94 indicates.  Typically for the F-1 it shows as D/S, duration of status, and that is what you would indicate if that's the case in your situation.  There should not be an issue if you are adjusting status on the basis of a bona fide marriage to a US citizen.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need assistance with this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.