If I was driving with an expired license in dad’s car and had an accident, can he be sued?

I sideswiped someone today after trying to avoid rear-ending a series of cars after a van speed past us using the shoulder then cut off a semi. I found out my license expired on my birthday

32 days ago. I was driving my father after a eye surgury in his car with comprehensive insurance. Can he be sued? Can I? I have insurance with my car.

Asked on May 24, 2016 under Accident Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your father is liable for the accident because he is the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving.
These cases are routinely resolved between the insurance companies and seldom result in a lawsuit.  Don't worry about any lawsuit.  Refer the matter to your father's insurance carrier.  If the company denies the claim because you were not an authorized driver on your father's policy, then refer the matter to your insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.