Exhubby was suppose to get our home soley in his name and he has failed to do so. I am the primary borrower.

Exhubby ws ordered in seperation maintance to get our home soley in his name. He has failed to do so, There has been plenty of time to do so. Now, im on a time crunch im getting married and pregnant and trying to get a house of my own. He is tying up my credit line. Should i get an atty.? and will he be responsible for lawyer fees. Also, he has my ex SIL AND BIL living @ the home would i ahve to evict them. And do i have permission to put the house up on the market without his permission?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Family Law, South Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'd say it's time to take the order that said he had to get your name off the house, bring it to a lawyer (the one who got it for you, if possible), explain all the facts of your situation, and get reliable advice.  One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I'm not a South Carolina lawyer, and facts you haven't mentioned could make a big difference.  But it is usually the case, with something like this, that at some point, either the refinancing (the real key to this) either happens, or the court runs out of patience and orders the property sold.  This can be hard, and you really need an attorney to put your case out in the best possible way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.