Exclusivity clause in lease

Own a hair salon in Hayward ca have a exclusivity clause to be the only hair salon
in the complex about 2 years ago a nail salon started cutting hair contacted the
landlord many times with no resolve. Having a hard time making it so would like to
sell the business but every interested buyer points out there is another salon cutting
hair wonder what recourse I have against the landlord. Have three years left on my
lease landlord wants to charge me 3 months rent to get out of my lease early Iam a
single mom so any help would be greatly appreciated

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the landlord for breach of contract: to recover compensation for losses the violation of the exclusivity clause cost you, such as a relatively certain or provable loss of income. You can also very likely use his material (significant) breach of the lease as grounds to treat the lease as terminated and moclve out without penalty. You have enforceable rights based on your lease; you should speak with an attorney (e.g. a landlord-tenant attorney) about vindicating your rights).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.