Ex-wife owes money from divorce and has not paid.

Divorce was final on 9/7/17 and she was to pay 500 dollars upon final filing and still has not. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on October 3, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the $500 your ex was to pay was part of the divorce decree or otherwise ordered by the court, you can pursue contempt of court against her.
For contempt of court, you will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing in your Order to Show Cause.  With the Order to Show Cause, file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  File any other documents or items that provide supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  Also, file a proof of service (court form). 
After filing your documents with the court, mail a copy to your ex and include the proof of service.  Mailing a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex provides her with notice of the contempt of court hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if you have filed all the required documents for a contempt of court claim because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.