What to do if my ex-wife continues to ruin my credit?

My husband divorced his ex-wife 3 years ago. In the divorce,that the house they shared was granted to the ex. She is not able to get a mortgage, so the deed and mortgage are still in my husband’s name. She pays the mortgage late each month and it is ruining my husband’s credit score. So much so that we are unable to purchase a house for us. What can we do?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's been three years and you guys cannot change the title to the house?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.