What to do if my ex was supposed to pay a debt per our decree but he didn’t?

Divorece granted 8 years ago. The debt that my ex was responsible for he did not pay. So the state has taken my taxes and charged me with a judgement. However, I was not aware that any of this was going on until now.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, you can bring a motion for contempt against him and to enforce the agreement but I would worry about the statute of limitations.  Now, it could be that the statute is "tolled" given the action against you but I would check with a lawyer in your area.  Also check about if you were properly served in the action.  You need to sue him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.