ex military solider wanting to divorce wife from germany, got married in Demark, wife is not an american citizen, german citizen,

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Family Law, Kentucky


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

what you need to do is contact a local divorce attorney from KY. Each state has certain rules for divorce and as long as a marriage falls under one of those categories you can file the divorce in said state. They can be a certain number of years in the state together or many other options. Because the marriage was in Denmark you have to use the other options to prove the state is a valid place to bring this action

Your attorney will know exactly how to proceed and be able to file the right paperwork to substantiate the marriage in that state if in fact it qualifies. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.