What are my rights if my ex-boyfriend who is still on mortgage/title entered the house and stole some of my furniture?

My ex-boyfriend is on title and mortgage of my house and I forgot that he still has a key. We are refinancing the house to remove his name and he will receive a buyout from me. He has been to the house 2 times since he moved out 7.5 months ago – once to remove his items from the house and once to remove items from the garage (the second time being 5 months ago). He recently found out I was out of town and entered the house with the key. He removed some of the furniture he had previously agreed to let me keep. He was never to use that key without my knowledge/permission as I have 2 roommates.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your former boyfriend entered the house that your are living in where he and you are still on title to it where your own furniture was stolen, you have the following options:

1. make a police report about the theft;

2. make a demand upon him for the return of the furniture;

3. if the furniture is not returned after a reasonable time after the demand, your option is to bring a civil action against him for the fair market value of the furniture taken.

You cannot use the threat of a criminal matter to gain leverage in a civil action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.