Ex has changed locks on marital home

My ex has changed the locks on our marital home.I have requested several times to
get into the home but he has not responded.Currenty taking his new wife to home to
clean and make ready for sale.my name is on the deed and not the mortgage.what
are my options.divorce decree states we are to sell home.I have not been able to
get back into residence to retrieve my personal belongings or personal papers.

Asked on January 7, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he was given exclusive use and occupancy when you moved he could change the locks, just as you could have.  You may need to go to court to get access.  I would first try hiring an attorney to send a few letters and consult with on the matter.  The letters may prompt a change of heart.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.