What is the law if we have an ex-employee who will not hand over the business facebook page and has

put a post on there about her new place of business to get clients to go there instead?

Asked on June 14, 2017 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The business facebook page is business property: if she will not hand it over and in fact has misappropriated it for her own use, she has stolen business property. You should file a lawsuit seeking declaratory judgment (a court determination) that it's your page and must be return to you; a court order requiring her to turn it over; and also seeking monetary compensation for the diversion of business (i.e. for lost clients or business). In the suit, which you will file on an "emergent" (think: urgent or emergency) basis to get into court faster, you will also seek injunctive relief with temporary restraints (e.g. a temporary restraining order) that she stop using the page (take it down) pending final resolution of the matter. Your lawsuit will be based on theft--which is something you can sue over as well as a crime--and "tortious interference with economic advantage"--interfering with your business through a wrongful or itself illegal means. Since filing matters on an emergent basis is more procedurally complicated than filing on a regular basis, and seeking declaratory relief and court orders is more complicated than seeking only monetary compensation, you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you. (Actually, if your business is an LLC or corporation, you *must* have a lawyer--only attorneys can represent LLCs and corporations in court.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.