Evicting family member who pays no rent or utilities.

My Father-inlaw has lived with us for over 8 years in apartment we built for him underneath our home. He winters with us then spends his summers in Canada. He remarried 4 years ago to a Canadian woman who is taking advantage of him and we can no longer sit back and watch. I do not want to allow her back into my home when they return next November. (She can only stay in the States for 6 mo.) There is no lease, no money exchanged nor has there ever been. Can I legally not allow her back in my home? Please help, I’m miserable in Florida.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless your father-in-law has a lease or is a part owner of your home, he has no right to live with you, and neither does his wife.  And you have every right to change the locks, once they head north for the summer.

If there is any more to this situation than that, I would strongly recommend that you talk to a real estate attorney in your area before doing anything.  One place you can find the lawyer you'd need would be our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.