How to evict a person who does not have permission to live on the premises?

I am renting my condo to my son. He had a roommate move in without my permission. The roommate has a dog that pees all over the condo and the roommate does not pay rent or utilities. What do I have to do to evict this person? He is never home when I go over to try to talk to him.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your son as a roommate that has not signed a written lease with you for the unit that is being occupied where you want this roommate to leave, you need to serve this person with a 30 day notice to terminate the occupancy of your property.

After the period of 30 days has run, and if the third person is still in possession of the rental, you will then need to serve him with an unlawful detainer action filed in your county court house. If it gets to the point where the roommate has not vacated after the period of 30 days, you will most likely have to consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.