Estate Question

My mother owns her house, but she is in a Nursing Home. Her Grand-daughter wants to live in her home to maintain it for her. Want kind of legal document would her grand-daughter need wrote up?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Tennessee but you could sign a "rental agreement" that states that she can live in the house in consideration for maintaining the home.  You should spell out what you believe "maintaining" will be and who will be responsible if a "major repair" such as a roof, etc., is needed.   You could require her to obtain "renters insurance" and make sure that the house insurance is paid up and that you can have a "renter" in the home.  You should put in a provision for leaving ("Notice to Terminate rental agreement") in case of a sale.  You can also ask for a security deposit.  You should seek legal help in your area for this agreement.   Look here at for starters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.