enforcement of divorcement settlement

My ex was order to sell the marital home when the divorce was finalized. It has
been almost three years and I have had a hard time getting him to comply with the
order. What can i do to close out this matter. The divorce occurred in Maryland

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Family Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to schedule a hearing on the contempt of court issue. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing.  In addition to the Order to Show Cause, you should file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury in which you state the facts supporting your contempt of court claim.  In addition, file any other evidence/  documents, etc. which supports your contempt of court claim against your ex.  File all of your documents with a proof of service (court form) with the court and mail a copy of the items you have filed to your ex along with the proof of service so that your ex will have notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required to file for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.