employment law

can a former employer use me in a training video without my permission? They never had my permission to begin with. My image is blurred and my voice altered. However, this is the 2nd training video they put out. The first training video my image was blurred but my voice intact.

Asked on April 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A former employer can't use a ex-employee's picture or likeness without first having their consent. That is unless at some point during their empoyment the employee signed an agreement giving permission that their image could be used. However, in this case, since the company made efforts to disquise your image and voice you would have no claim (even for the first video since your voice, although not altered, would not readily be recognizable). Even if you if you could proceed with a claim for compensation, you most likely will not be able to receive any money. This is because, assuming that you are not a public figure, you really have suffered no damages since you would normally not be paid for the right to use your likeness/voice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.