What are my rights if my employer did not follow through on the terms of its job offer?

I was offered a contract 1099 job for a computer company. They offered me a base salary of $45,000 and would review after 90 days. After the first 30 days the employer was made that I wasnt able to make a sale in the first 30 days, so they decreased my pay to $10 per hour. After another 2 weeks went by they fired me. I left another job to take this job and now I don’t have a job. Can I sue them for damages because they cut my pay after 30 days? I do have copy of job offer.

Asked on September 23, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ok, what you need to do is to bring the offer in to an attorney to review and see if it will stand up to being called a "contract" between you and the employer.  Contracts generally have to have the terms spelled out including the rights and obligations of the parties.  Sometimes - but not ofter - if the paperwork is found to be a "contract" the Court will allow parties to testify as to the terms if the paperwork is ambiguous.  But strategy as to how to handle this is crucial and you need legal help.  I think that you may have a shot at SOMETHING but it is unclear from the information given here as to what.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.