What to do if my employer has black gate across entry into parking lot and I accidentally damaged it?

Gate is opened in the morning by security. Mechanical gate that is opened remotely. We also have to scan an access card to have an arm lift up before we can enter. Drive is approx 18’wide on entry side. Gate is black, no reflective tape etc, no light fixture over the gate area. I come in to work when still dark outside. One morning I pulled up scanned my card, arm went up, I rolled forward and car stopped dead. Gate was protruding a good 6 ft into drive. Couldnt be seen until my headlight was touching it. Gate is bent. Security says gate has been malfunctioning and not opening all the way. Employer says they want my insurance info and its my fault.

Asked on October 8, 2013 under Accident Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Definitely contact your insurance company to report and explain the matter.  The insurance company will investigate the matter.   You should consider thinking twice about fighting over this and losing your job if your insurance company will handle and pay the matter (less your deductible).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.