What to do if my employer failed to payme an agreed bonus?

My employer and I agreed that if a certain number of tasks were done and the company made X amount of dollars that a 1% bonus would be granted. This 1% amounts to about $1700. The tasks were complete, the company made the quota, the 1% was never paid. My employer says this is because we do not have the money, but I have seen the funds and to me it appears as though we have a surplus. When I bring this up to them I am told that I am lucky to have a job at all, which makes me feel that my job is being threatened.

Asked on March 30, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

1) An agreement is an agreement. If the agreement's terms were met, you are owed your bonus.

2) As a practical matter, if the company literally has NO money to pay, you can't get it--though if the company was a sole proprietorship, the owner personally is liable to pay you. But simply being low on cash or not wanting to pay is no defense; if they can physically pay you, they have to do so legally.

3) Note that a company could choose to fire you if you bother management, unless you have an employment contract to the contrary; however, they would still have to pay your bonus and depending on the circumstances, you *may* have a claim then for improper termination.

4) Unfortunately, if the company won't pay voluntarily, if you want to be paid, you may need to sue them, the cost of which (and consequences of which) may make it not worthwhile to do so. You could contact the state labor department to see if they will help out, but I don't believe this is the type of situation they get involved in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.