Easements: Electric on North side and drainage on south side. what does this mean and can I have them changed?

we are trying to buy property ext to ours. Recent survey shows existing electric co. easement on N side of 15′. THe S side shows proposed 9.5′ drainage easement. We are looking to expand. How do I get the electric company to switch their easement to the S side as well so we can expand? Also what does this mean? SHould we purchase this property?

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since this is a business property, you must have a real estate lawyer working on this, there is simply too much at stake.  If you need to find an attorney, you can start looking for one at our website, http://attorneypages.com

An easement is a right to use land that belongs to someone else, almost always for a specific purpose.  Without seeing a map of your property and the lot you're looking to buy, and at least some photographs of the easements or some information like that, it's very hard to tell you whether or not to buy the property.  If there is a power line running through that easement, you might have to live with that;  if the power company isn't using the easement and doesn't expect to, you might be able to buy them out of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.