What are my rights if my doctor denied a blood pressure medicine refill because I was overdue for a physical?

Once I scheduled the physical they renewed the prescription but it ran out this week and my appointment is next Friday. I called to renew the medicine again and they refused to renew it again, leaving a message with the pharmacist that I needed to schedule an appointment- rather than checking their own schedule to see I had an appointment scheduled already. Is it legal for them to withhold my medicine to blackmail me into an appointment? This can’t be good for my blood pressure. Is this malpractice; do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on May 31, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written the practice by your treating physician in not renewing your blood pressure medication seems inappropriate and may sibject hom or her to a complaint with the American Medical Association by you. It is not malpractice unless you have been injured. Your recourse is to make a complaint with the American Medical Association or better yet, get a new doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.