What to do if a specialist said that my insurance company would cover the cost of my hearing aids so I got them but now I discover they are not covered?

I had surgery on one ear that was not successful but I knew the risks ahead of time. After the surgery, the specialist proposed hearing aids for both ears and told me that my insurance company would pay approximately 2/3 of the bill. I have that in writing. I paid my part and got the hearing aids. The insurance company did not pay their part and said hearing aids are not covered under my plan which I found out is true. Am I obligated to pay the other 2/3 of the cost of the hearing aids?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Here is the issue. If you signed any documentation with entity who provided you the hearing aids indicating you would be held responsible for the costs of the hearing aids if your insurance company did not cover it, then yes you are liable for the monies. However, this is where contract law and detrimental reliance comes into play. If your specialists is a doctor or doctor's office and wrote to you (and you have it), that your hearing aids are covered by insurance and you relied to your detriment on those assertions, I would do a couple things. I would go ahead and file a complaint with the state medical board and sue in court for this money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.