What to do if durring an anual review my raise was reduced based on something I was never given warning or opertunity to correct?

As a matter of face the incidend was beyond my control.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract which guaranteed or specified your raise or salary, or set forth some process which would have to be followed in order to reduce a raise or your salary or otherwise discipline you, there is nothing you can do. Without a contract, you are an employee at will; that means (among other things) that a raise or salary/wages can be reduced at any time, for any reason--even for things you had no control over--without warning or notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.