What are my legal rights on home ownership and FEMA assistance?

During a flood several years ago I was living in a mobile home owned by my sister. My sister had given it to me but we had never filed any paperwork. The dwelling was flooded and when we explained the situation to FEMA they advised me to have her write out a statement explaining that we had never gotten the home transfered into my name. I recieved FEMA assistance for the home. Now my sister refuses to sign the home over to me. Am I responsible for re-payment if FEMA comes back and wants the assistance back? The money was spent on making the home liveable again. What are my legal rights on home ownership?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the situation is to have a face to face meeting with your sister as to the need for her to transfer registered title to the mobile home to you as she had promised in light of the fact that you have a FEMA loan with respect to it since you represented to this federal agency that you in fact owned it.

If your sister refuses to tranfer title to you regarding the mobile home you need to consult with an attorney that practices in this area of the law in that it makes no sense for you to be paying on a loan for something that you do not own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.