If I suffered an injury due to faulty equipment at a public pool, do I have a case?

The risk management department wants to settle the claim.

Asked on August 6, 2014 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the equipment truly was faulty and caused or contributed to your injury, then you do likely have a case, either against the pool (negligence in maintenance or in using the equipment) and/or against manufacturers and installers (negligent manufacture or installation).

The question is, how badly were you hurt? If you sued and won, you could only receive damages equal to your out-of-pocket/unreimbursed medical expenses; lost wages, if any; and, for injuries resulting in significant impairment of life functions or enjoyment for several weeks or more, some amount of "pain and suffering." If--as we hope--you were not hurt badly, the amount of money you could receive is limited; accepting a voluntary settlement without going through the time and cost of a lawsuit may be best. On the other hand, if you suffered significant injuries or large medical bills, consult with a personal injury attorney before doing anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.