If due to an error in paperwork, my LLC never received an EIN number last year and now that it is tax season, am I to classify my business as an LLC or a partnership?

Asked on March 23, 2015 under Business Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

For tax purposes, unless you have applied for S Corp filing status, your LLC files as a partnership.  This is regardless of whether you have an EIN.  If you do not have an EIN this year, use your own social security number to file your taxes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.