What should I do if I was drunk and knocked on the dooe of the wrong house?

I was intoxicated last night and knocked on the door of a neighbors house instead of my friends I was staying at. I realized I had the wrong house and immediately left without ever entering the house. The owners of the house filed a report with the police as they thought it was an attempted burglary. I must have dropped my phone when leaving and it was given to the police. I tracked it online and the police have it. When I went to retrieve it, they could not release it without the office who filed the report. Can I be charged with anything (attempted burglary, trespassing, etc.)?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I seriously doubt that you will be charged with breaking and entering in this scenario. More than likely the neighbors made a police report stating that someone they did not know was attempting to gain entry into their home. However, there must be evidence that you attempted to actually break into the home, or enter the home without the owner's permission to be charged. A knock on the door, even if you were drunk, does not constitute an attempt to break in and enter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.