Drug usage in work place

I work in the collision repair industry. I been employed by a company for 3 months now, it a corporation U.S. and Canada. I have been shocked to find once coming aboard that the employees regularly smoke marijuana, and have also seen drinking alcohol but not regularly. The manager here is well aware and jokes about it. The manager above him has been told of this by another employee that has quit, and there’s been no action taken. She previously work at this location before being promoted. At times I feel my safety is a concern. Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on October 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your employer could take employment action over this (e.g. fire the drug using or drinking employees) but is not legally required to. All you can do is call the policea yourself to report the drug use (but not the drinking, since drinking is legal). Any person my report drug use which they observe--it doesn't have to be the property owner/renter or the employer. Obviously, that is a drastic step, to call the police on coworkers. Seeking other employment is likely a much better option for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.